Email marketing is an important part of your marketing mix, especially where events are concerned as you need your potential delegates to click through and register, so here are five tips to help you increase your email’s click-through rates.
1. Ensure your emails are opened
This sounds obvious, but the more opens you can achieve, then your click through rate should increase too.
- Clean your data and make sure that your opt-ins are relevant and on target.
- Make it clear from the outset how often they will receive emails and what information to expect.
- Identify yourself: Make it perfectly clear for the recipient who the sender is. Use your name, your company name or both.
- Invite the recipient to open your email via an appealing and well written subject header. 65% of people say they open emails based on the subject header. Be sure to stick to a maximum of 50 characters (20 if you have a lot of mobile readers) to prevent it from being cut off in most email clients.
- Write a strong snippet, often the snippet contains text like “Unable to read this mail? Open the web version.”
2. Stick to one clear call to action
- Decide what your main call to action is and make it clear. Stick to one so that your message isn’t diluted.
- Avoid CTAs that state the obvious. The internet has been around long enough even for the biggest technophobes to understand that they have to click on a hyperlink to make it work. In other words, don’t use “click here.”
3. Create mobile-proof emails
- In 2013, 28% of all internet traffic was via mobile devices, in fact 65% of all emails were opened on a mobile device, so it is essential that you prepare your emails for mobile.
- Create your email templates using responsive design, which will adjust the email to, for example, screen size used or the orientation of your screen (in the case of smart phones, which you can hold horizontally or vertically).
- Also, keep in mind that mobile users click using their fingers instead of a mouse. Make sure all your calls to action are large enough and your hyperlinks have enough space between them. Tip: a finger takes up, on average, about 44×44 pixels on a mobile screen.
4. Be relevant
- Segment your data and send relevant emails that will interest them specifically.
5. Test and measure
- Not every target group is the same. That’s why you should use the previous four tips merely to get started. From there, the best way to improve your open rate is by testing various strategies and to keep measuring the results.
- Test emails with split-run and A/B tests, including different send times and different subject lines. Keep tweaking and molding until you find the right format and the click-through rate you’re aiming for.
Call Freya on + 44 (0) 208 995 9495 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your email requirements.